August 2020 Athlete of the Month, Jen!
Published August 3, 2020
Althete of the Month
1. What was life like before you became a member?
Before I started Keystone CrossFit, I was out of shape (literally looked like my 17yr old lol), low self-esteem, didn’t really feel comfortable in my own skin.
2. At the time you enrolled, were you already exercising? What was your previous background in fitness?
Not really, I use to go to the gym 3 times a week but not disciplined enough to stay consistent. I didn’t know what I was doing. Watched a few YouTube at home workouts but no one to really guide me and tell me if I was doing something wrong and correct me or to cheer me on.
3. What originally prompted you to seek us out?
I was looking for some kind of fitness activity/sport to get into that I would enjoy while working on physical health. My friend and I saw an ad on Facebook for Keystone CrossFit’s 6-week challenge, so we joined.
4. What was your goal when you originally signed up?
My original goal in the beginning was to get toned and have abs! Drop my body fat, and eventually gain lean muscle.
5. What have you liked best about working with us?
What I liked most about working with you guys is the support and the friends I’ve gained along the way. 5:30 am class ROCKS! Everyone is so welcoming; the community is awesome! The gym is always well maintained. You guys have provided a safe and comfortable environment for us to work-out and just gain peace of mind. I’m grateful I found a home with you guys.
6. What are you most proud of achieving since you started?
That I can deadlift double my weight and then some (225 baby) when I didn’t even know what a deadlift was. That I actually pulled through a few bear complex and didn’t die. I have kept up with my consistency. I can finally feel comfortable doing a workout and actually knowing what I’m doing safely.
7. With everything that you have accomplished, has your view of yourself changed?
The way I view myself now verse when I first started is so far in between. I am a lot more confident, stronger, happier, healthier, and vibrant. I now know there’s nothing I can’t do, as long as I put my mind and hard work into it, I can do anything!
8. What would you say to anyone else who might be dealing with any similar struggles you did?
The time is NOW! Stop making excuses that you are not strong enough or can’t do it. YES, you can. I’m only 4 foot nothing (4”10) and let me tell you I’M STRONGER than I ever been! To think I’m only getting stronger gives you more motivation to keep going. Get over the fear of what people think, with a community like this there is no judgment. Let’s work together and watch each other grow!
9. Do you have any special moments/memories?
The first time I almost died in the parking lot, cried, and thought to myself I’m never going back, but on the ride home I felt so good inside to have finished the WOD. (This was on day 3) I was happy I finished. Sucked it up and went again the following day J
10. What is your favorite movement/lift?
BURPEES N BOX JUMPS!!!! AND DEADLIFTS.