September 2020 Athlete of the Month, Jill!
Published September 1, 2020
ATHLETE OF THE MONTH
1. What was life like before you became a member?
I would occasionally go on a health kick with no real understanding of proper nutrition or fitness. A fun fact of my past is that I did Olympic lifting with my uncle King Joe when I was about 4 years old (trophy to prove it).
2. At the time you enrolled, were you already exercising? What was your previous background in fitness?
Other than my brief career in childhood Olympic lifting… I would be active here and there, but nothing consistent.
3. What originally prompted you to seek us out?
I went to the Bring-a-Friend Boot Camp class with my cousin and joined the next troop with my best bud Leiann right away! I still remember the call I had with Allison where we talked about my fitness goals. I can’t believe that was 3 years ago!
4. What was your goal when you originally signed up?
To survive boot camp!
5. What have you liked best about working with us?
Two things – 1. Coming to the gym is not just about fitness, it is a social community where you get to PR lifts and laugh your butt off too. 2. The coaches have incredible knowledge about fitness, it is admirable.
6. What are you most proud of achieving since you started?
My general strength, endurance, and improvement in body/mind health.
7. With everything that you have accomplished, has your view of yourself changed?
I have noticed that my capability to handle “hard things” in life has improved. Seeing my physical appearance change has been endlessly positive for my self-esteem.
8. What would you say to anyone else who might be dealing with any similar struggles you did?
You will surprise yourself; you will be mentally and physically stronger, and you will feel at home.
9. Do you have any special moments/memories?
Hitting a 300# deadlift at the Holiday Throwdown competition and any time I get to RX the WOD.
10. What is your favorite movement/lift?
Push or Split Jerk.
I would like to share this great honor with my smash sister, Leiann! You are the best gym partner ever! Thank you to all my fellow KCF athletes, you all push me to be better. To the KCF staff, I couldn’t imagine getting coached from anyone else. Tim, Allison, JessBest, and Nicole – you all do great things every day!