Athlete of the Month - May 2018
Published May 7, 2018
ATHLETE OF THE MONTH
1. What was life like before you became a member?
My life before becoming a member was all about work and accommodating everyone but myself. I decided to join WBBC in January 2016 and from there I moved on to KCF. But, I started a new job in a new career and started making all sorts of excuses as to why I couldn't make it to the gym. Before I knew it, I had gained 20lbs and felt awful. In December 2016 I decided to work on my diet and by April 2017 I had lost the 20lbs, but I still wanted more. I did a second WBBC and joined CrossFit after the camp, but this time I followed through with my commitment and have been reaping the benefits ever since! Physically and mentally I feel so much better! I finally feel like I am doing something for myself and that feels good!
2. At the time you enrolled, were you already exercising? What was your previous background in fitness?
I had begun exercising again just before I joined WBBC the second time. I was doing a lot of walking, hiking and occasionally some running. When I felt confident enough I would run in a 5k.
3. What originally prompted you to seek us out? Originally, it was WBBC.
4. What was your goal when you originally signed up?
My goal when I signed up was to become fit and gain more confidence in myself both inside and out. This is still a goal I continually work on.
5. What have you liked best about working with us?
I love the atmosphere and the family dynamic. The gym is a place I go to feel good about myself. It really is like a second family.
6. What are you most proud of achieving since you started?
I am most proud of my growth! My lifts have gotten so much stronger than I ever thought they would, mentally I am stronger and more confident and willing to push myself outside of my comfort zone.
7. With everything that you have accomplished, has your view of yourself changed?
Absolutely!!! Granted, like anyone, I have good days and bad days, but I have more good than bad!
8. What would you say to anyone else who might be dealing with any similar struggles you did?
I would urge them to give CrossFit a try even if it is initially intimidating because the risk is worth the outcome. Also, don't hold back because you're only hurting yourself. Give it everything you've got because you get what you put into it.
9. Do you have any special moments/memories?
In the beginning of the year I made a commitment to myself that I would try to open up a bit more and be more of myself. Since then, I've had a lot of moments and memories such as new friendships, PR's, and accomplishing new movements that seemed impossible for me. I competed in my very first CrossFit competition, it was our in-house competition, and I participated in my first Open this year. The best is seeing my coach’s reactions when I PR a new lift! To me it's always special and makes me feel more confident when my gym mates encourage me and push me as well.
10. What is your favorite movement/lift? My favorite is back squat and front squat.
"Keystone CrossFit has played a huge role in my life. I have always believed that everything happens for a reason and since joining, doors have opened for me that I would never have opened on my own!!!"