- What was life like before you became a member? Before I joined KCF, I was on a routine schedule. I would start my day coaching a crossfit class, then go to work, and the right back to crossfit to workout and coach a couple of night classes. I had been working in the hospitality business for a long time and made a career change to have more of a normal schedule and more time to work on myself.
2. At the time you enrolled, were you already exercising? What was your previous background in fitness? I did some running and would go to Planet Fitness a few times a week but was never very consistent. It was just very hard to motivate myself. I changed it up a bit and tried kickboxing in a class setting but it really wasn’t for me. Things changed when a friend of mine asked me to go to a crossfit class when I was in a rut and from day 1 I loved it.
3. What originally prompted you to seek us out? I originally sought out KCF when my home crossfit box had to close its doors after 5 years. Once they had closed I wanted to continue to crossfit but also wanted the family atmosphere of my old box. I tried a few different ones but once I did classes here, I was hooked. KCF has amazing coaches, great members, and the perfect atmosphere.
4. What was your goal when you originally signed up? My goal is to continue to excel in movements and lifts I already know and to learn and hone in on my weaker ones.
5. What have you liked best about working with us? It’s hard to pick out one thing. I would say I like the one-on-ones with the coaches who keep me motivated even though I don’t want to be. I also like the atmosphere and my fellow athletes who make the classes fly by sweating and grinding it out with me.
6. What are you most proud of achieving since you started?I would say getting more confident with the technical part of my lifts. I’ve hit a few PR’s and even learned to accomplish some Dubs, though they are a work in progress.
7. With everything that you have accomplished, has your view of yourself changed? Yes. Since I started KCF I feel I am back in a positive mindset that I was losing along the way before.
8. What would you say to anyone else who might be dealing with any similar struggles you did? I would say just do it. Try a class and see what it is all about. I would emphasize that all the workouts can be adjusted to fit their physical limitations and inexperience with the movements. I would tell them my story of how crossfit changed my life all for the better.
9. Do you have any special moments/memories? There are many moments I’ve thought were pretty special but a couple I could think of are:
On a scheduled lifting day we were doing push press and tim was coaching, My goal that day was ti hit a PR and lift more overhead then I had. When I was super tired going into my last set, the whole class and Tim were just so encouraging that I could do it and that’s exactly what I did. It was a great feeling to hit the PR but more meaningful because everyone was so supporting.
The second one would be when we all did Murph last summer, We all just pushed through it and regardless of when we all finished we all rooted for each other till we were all done. It’s that sense of comradery and genuine joy that everyone had that really makes crossfit so much different than anything I’ve ever participated in.
10. What is your favorite movement/lift? Haha- that would be the deadlift. It was the first crossfit movement that made sense to me in the beginning of doing crossfit and has been my favorite ever since.
I would say that the barbell lifts are my go to. Since being at KCF I’ve gotten better at my techniques and enjoy the coaching I get to help me improve them everyday.