1. What was life like before you became a member? Life before KCF was a schedule of various workouts by myself that had become boring and was not so much fun. I competed in water skiing for 25 years on a National Level, but since retiring, the drive for strength training was declining. I was looking for something to start a new spark. Thankfully, I found KCF or KCF found me! So, happy to be a part of a great community.
2. At the time you enrolled, were you already exercising? What was your previous background in fitness? I’ve always exercised, but the workouts consisted of P90X and a home gym with some free weights with no real structure. In my younger years, I did attend a local gym and did a winter or two of Spinning Classes, but really did not enjoy.
3. What originally prompted you to seek us out? My wife and another friend were raving about KCF, Tim and CrossFit and how much fun and challenging the workouts were. They recommended I give it a try. I must admit, it did sound intimidating with all the various movements.
4. What was your goal when you originally signed up? I was concerned with the lovely parts of aging, lol… so, KCF sounded inspiring and certainly a challenge. I think the phrase, “Simple, but never Easy”, says it all.
5. What have you liked best about working with us? The best part of working with KCF is certainly all the awesome members, class structure, workouts, and the coaching. I’ve made many new friends at KCF and find the camaraderie and the willingness of members to help and push each other is what keeps me coming back for more.
6. What are you most proud of achieving since you started? Setting PR’s is certainly fun for all the movements, but I never thought I would be able to Deadlift over 300 pounds and really was ecstatic to deadlift 315 twice a few months ago!
7. With everything that you have accomplished, has your view of yourself changed? It’s hard to believe that I started with KCF in 2013 and the changes with overall body strength & the overall good feeling I have after each class. As with most of us, work and the never-ending stresses of life can weigh on the overall health of our mind and body. I’m always amazed, if I’m having a bad day, how much better I feel after a class. The demands of the workouts and the focus needed for some of the movements helps clear the mind and soul. The accomplishment of completing a class can change a bad mood to good and help lower life’s stresses.
8. What would you say to anyone else who might be dealing with any similar struggles you did? KCF is the right fit for me, and I think everyone can gain from CrossFit by pushing themselves, having attainable goals and meeting friendly like-minded people. The sense of accomplishment after each class amazes me every time!!
9. Do you have any special moments/memories? My special moment was during KCF’s winter partner competition. Dave Lopotka and I were doing the ‘Stone Lifts” and we both were having no issues throwing the stone over the bar, until the “201lbs” stone. Competition will always surprise you with how much more strength you have than you thought. I had less than 90 seconds to lift the “201lbs” stone and when I completed the lift, too much my disbelief, the members cheered, and Coach Tim had the biggest smile and “high five” with the accomplishment.
10. What is your favorite movement/lift? My favorite lift is the Power Clean and pull-ups. Really love trying to perfect the technique to make the bar float for the Clean! Pull-ups are a close second since it’s natural movement for me.
I’ve visited many CrossFit Gym’s in our Country and overseas and you’ll not find any better than right here at KCF. Thank you, Tim, Coaches, and Staff (Jess) for providing a great environment and “Box”!